Breakfast Tacos with Sweet Potato Cheeze
I love, love, love weekends! Not only do I get to spend more time with my guys, but I also get to spend a bit more time in the kitchen.
To me, nothing is better than not having to act like an insane person while trying to get everyone out the door on time in the morning. Not having to yell like a drill sergeant as I say the same thing for the 100th time. Not having to pick up peanut butter coated bread off the floor while simultaneously pulling on my tights. Ya, it's like that every weekday around here, so when the weekend approaches, I start to get real excited and begin to fantasize about the smells that will be coming out of the kitchen while the kids gleefully make a mess of the house.
I will take more messes over trying to catch the bus on time any. dang. day.
This particular weekend I was hyped up because I had been looking forward to making these breakfast tacos for AGES. I pumped up the tunes and got to work. When everything was done and plated, my older son could not wait to get his hands on them. Currently, he's the pickiest eater in the family, so I watched carefully as he picked up one of the tacos and eyed it suspiciously. Seemingly in slow motion, he slightly opened his mouth for a tiny taste tester bite. His eyebrows rose and I got an "Mmmmm!"
Mama made a touchdown! BOOM! You like that? Oh, you do? You actually do?!? YESSSS!
He gobbled up the whole thing, and asked if I could make these everyday. Swoon.
You can easily double this recipe to have extra on hand for those busy weekday mornings (or for lunch later that day) so you can throw a couple of breakfast tacos together quickly and actually get dressed while the kids munch away.
Take that, weekday morning!
8-10 small flour tortillas
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 medium onion, chopped small
1 package of extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp black salt
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed and boiled until soft
1/4 C coconut milk
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tsp white miso paste
2 tbs tapioca flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 medium tomato, diced medium
1/4 onion, diced small
2 tbs cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 ripe medium avocado, cut in half and thinly sliced.
1. In a medium pan, heat a bit of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Crumble in tofu and stir fry for 3 more minutes, reducing heat as necessary so as not to burn the mixture.
2. Add basil, oregano, paprika, turmeric, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine mixture well and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remover from heat.
3. In a high powered blender, add boiled sweet potato, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, white miso paste, tapioca flour, salt, paprika, onion powder, coconut oil, and apple cider vinegar. Blend on high for 3-4 minutes until mixture is completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary.
4. Pour sweet potato mixture into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly. It will start to bubble and become thick and you might see clumps forming. It's OK, it's just the tapioca flour doing its thang. Keep stirring and the mixture will start to thicken and become smooth and glossy. After about 4 minutes, when the mixture has reached its smooth and glossy goodness, remove from heat.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Set aside.
6. If desired, use a grill pan to heat tortillas. You can also use the microwave or oven. I wanted the pretty grill marks so I heated each tortilla for about 45 seconds on each side.
7. To assemble, spread some of the sweet potato cheeze on one side of the tortillas and sprinkle with tofu scramble, then close. On a serving platter, lay down one tortilla and add 3 slices of avocado on top, then repeat with the remaining tortillas and avocado slices. Spoon pico de gallo on top of the tortillas and serve immediately.